Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Engine03
Lt

109 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  14:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At our Base we're allowed to use the BX for Food and Non-Alcoholic Drink purchases while on duty with a valid ID Card. We have no Commissary; BX has everything due to being a small installation, kind of like a small shopette - Frozen Food items, prepackaged and in cans, milk & cold drinks, bags of chips, etc. It's very convenient when on duty, and was due to an agreement between the Manager, Commander and the FD.
We are also allowed use of the Combined Club for Lunch and Dinner, both eat in and carry out. And if we care to take advantage of this off duty we're also allowed; many of our members take their family there for lunch and Dinner also.
Oh, and the FD is also allowed full use of the Gym on Base.
I take exception to the comments regarding use of the Commissary and BX by DOD FD civilians; it's demeaning to even think that civilians, specifically those in the FD, do not have the same regard for their service, duty to the nation, and sacrifices made. I will be the first to agree that Yes, they do not have it the same as our military Brothers, but we ALL serve! Regardless of status and uniform.
And in my experience, 100% of all Operations, Inspection, and management Fire Protection IS prior military Fire. We have people that served Honorably in ALL Branches of Service as firefighters. And just because they've chosen the civilian side of the House doesn't make them any less dedicated. I say give them a break. Take the time to appreciate their service too. And Yes, Both civilian and military have different benefits and retirements, etc. But I just can't see the outrage and denial if a GS-5 or GS-7 working a Shift wants to get a can of Soup and a bag of chips for dinnner.
This is a DOD Fire Site. Not just for Air Force or Navy; not just for civilian or military. It's for ALL of Us! Brothers and Sisters. White, African-American, Hispanic. AMERICANS! Come on, Surely you people that are crying and bitching aren't serious? There's alot more for us to worry about than whether a civilian is eating a cheeseburger from the Club, BX or Commissary.
We are all in this GWOT together. Whether CONUS, Deployed, or at a location overseas. It's Where the Rubber Hits the Road, People. Putting the Wet Stuff on the Red Stuff. Protecting Those That Defend America. It's Each and Everyone. ALL Fire Dawgs.
Stay Safe out there.
Go to Top of Page

firedog221
Rookie

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  19:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the base I was at "The Base Commander" told us that none of his "Firefighters" will go hungery due to unscheldeled overtime, we were getting hammered with O.T. all the time and were not allowed to use the Commsarry or off base facilitys. But our bosses would use the food court and other facilitys.The commssary magr had no issues with us using it as long as we were on duty and the military also no isuess either, for this is a no brainer. I know a lot military ret's that have good benfits or even active duty personel.

Common Sense is Not That Common
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer78
Lt

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  20:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Engine03 -- you shouldn't take my comments out of context. I did not suggest:

"it's demeaning to even think that civilians, specifically those in the FD, do not have the same regard for their service, duty to the nation, and sacrifices made. "

What I said was that DoD civilians are not authorized to shop in the commissary because they are not authorized patrons....nothing more, nothing less. My comments were not directed towards your sense of duty and service. It should also be noted that I didn't start this thread - I merely responded with my opnion....isn't that what this forum is for?

I say we just disagree on this one....what say you?

Edited by - oldtimer78 on Aug 01 2011 20:24:02
Go to Top of Page

Engine03
Lt

109 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  23:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OldTimer, I guess we can agree to disagree on this. I just don't see the problem with the civilian firefighters being allowed, and I stress "Allowed" to use the Commissary or BX for food items while on duty. I don't expect them to shop there 24/7 365 days a year. But while on duty, especially when tasked with Overtime, etc., I think it's damn convenient for them, and a Commander and BX/Commissary Manager that grant this "Privilege" My Hat is off to them. That's thinking of your people. And notice I said "Allow" and "Privilege." I know it's not a Right.
The BX/Commissary isn't losing $$$ by allowing the FD to use the facilities, and I'm sure that Military people are not being turned away or asked to leave in favor of the FD people. It's a Win Win for everyone; $$$ is made, products are moved out and you have a larger customer base. Democracy and Capitalism at work.
Again, I guess it's a sore subject with people which I fail to understand. Just because one firefighter is wearing a BDU with Stripes and the other a Blue Shirt with insignia, just what's the problem with both buying a Cheeseburger or a piece of Pizza? There's alot more to worry about, People.
There are two distinct career paths, Yes. Retirement, Benefits, health care. I understand. I just didn't step off the Tuna Boat and this isn't my First day at the Rodeo. I just don't see a sense of urgency about why this is such a bad thing.
Ok, I know some are PO'd out there that I'm able to use our BX, Club and Gym. But I don't think it's personally taking food out of your mouth. Come On! If you're working in the same firehouse with a Guy or Gal who you depend on to back you up, get you water, or perform a rescue, you can't see what uniform they're wearing under their PPE. And should it even matter?
Some people are making a mountain out of a molehill over nothing. So a person is able to utilize facilities to purchase food, Great! That Commander and Manager deserve praise. It's not DOD wide, just a few places at minimum from what I can see. If it's not allowed on your Base, Ok. If it's on your Base, Nice. Maybe if you're understanding, the person you're complaining about will share their food.
We're all supposed to be Brothers and Sisters. Let's act it.
Oldtimer, We can agree to disagree. But I'd still share a cup of coffee with you, and I support your Right to your opinion and Free Speech. Let's ALL Stay safe out there.
Go to Top of Page

FD73
Rookie

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  23:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not agree with the standpoint of some on the thread I started, however oldtimer is right in the respect that the forum is for expressing opinions respectfully. No one should take things personally just a matter of opinion. I agree with the standpoint of Engine03, I also do not understand why its such a sore spot for some but obviously it is. As they say "it is what it is."
Go to Top of Page

Hog Chief
Lt

Afghanistan
117 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  04:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All good points gentlemen. I have no issue with firefighter being able to use the commisary, and i do not think that Oldtime does either. But if the Manager allows it then it is a good thing for the firefighters at that installation, it is just not afforded across the board. Stay safe, remember we are all in this together.

Proud Veteran, "Support your Deployed Firefighters"
Go to Top of Page

devildog4
Rookie

32 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  23:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At my Base (USMC) we are alowed to use the commissary while on duty to purchase food items for one shift. You can't go in there and get a shopping cart full of stuff.

Until recently, we were allowed to use the chowhall. That stopped. Evidently, the USN has a policy that DoD civilians CAN'T eat there, so even though it was in our contract, DON regulations superceded our contract...

Edited by - devildog4 on Aug 10 2011 21:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Wash92
New

1 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  21:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several years back our department was trying to get permission to utilize the commisary due to working a large amount of overtime. The CO was willing to give us the permission and passed our request to legal, who then notified the CO that only the Under Secretary of the Navy was allowed to give authorization to utilize the commissary. Never heard about it again.

Go to Top of Page

diesel44express
Rookie

USA
61 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  14:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some posts mentioned there was a formal agreement between your organization and the Commissary Director. Can you please share a copy of the agreement?

Greatly appreciated.

brett.g.johnson@usmc.mil

Edited by - diesel44express on Nov 02 2011 18:47:58
Go to Top of Page

fireman5309
Rookie

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  12:55:46  Show Profile  Send fireman5309 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Brett,
I emailed you what we have here.

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by diesel44express

Some posts mentioned there was a formal agreement between your organization and the Commissary Director. Can you please share a copy of the agreement?

Greatly appreciated.

brett.g.johnson@usmc.mil

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DoDFire.com © 2010 DoDFire.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000